Thursday, October 7, 2010

Adding a dash of gonzo to my cover letter

I've always struggled with cover letters. No matter how many I write, no matter what tone they take, I always worry they're lacking something.

So I looked for a few tips in the letter Hunter S. Thompson sent in 1958 to the Vancouver Sun, where he thought he might like to work. The Ottawa Citizen featured it in a story last week.

The letter offered a suggestion of the full-blown gonzo to come, but overall was really pretty tame:
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. If this is what you're trying to get The Sun away from, then I think I'd like to work for you.
Makes you wonder, though, what kind of blogger Thompson might be today.

 

No comments: